OVERBLOWING-"the 8-track of techniques"-NOT!!!!!!

- --Apple-Mail-21-1032805450

I don't agree that OVERBLOWING- will be the 8-track of techniques.

I was in a session yesterday for an overdub for a latin artist.

I was given a punchy stevie wonder style intro to play, which I did at
the beginnings of all four verses. This had to be done on chromatic.

For the solo, they wanted a more blues oriented approach with a few
quotes of the intro/melody.  Because the melody contained chromatic
riffs, I needed to use overblowing to achieve the goals of the
producer. This could not be done on the chromatic because he wanted the
blues harp sound and this could not be done on the diatonic without
overblowing.

Thus, the best of both harmonica worlds is the goal of playing the
chromatic like a diatonic and playing the diatonic like a chromatic.

You say that the OMMNIBENDER render the overblowing technique into the
8 -track trash bin? I think not,

Besides, who has the patience to wait for it to be mastered and
perfected? Why not have diatonic/chromatic fun now instead of waiting
for another day?

I think mastering the harmonica might be the most difficult instrument.
Mastering an overblown harmonica is admittedly perhaps even more
difficult, but our journey starts with one step.

When the omnibender comes out, I will order one as well and add it to
the palatte.

Besides, the harmonica world would be a much darker place without the
music of Howard Levy. For those who do not dig his concept, you may not
have listened hard enough to hear his genius. His earlier works may be
a better place to start, as they were more simple, yet deep and
soulfull.

Try to keep an open mind about skills you do not have, please.

thank you,

randy singer

ps

Robb Bingham wrote>But overblowing, in the end, isn't
going to have jack to do with turning harmonica into a
viola or tuba or clarinet, or making it ~respectable~,
nor advancing it to something Charlie Rose is gonna
wanna talk about. <

Hey Robb, you are right, overblowing won't do it. Techniques, purely
noted or instruments don't do it. Only people will do it using whatever
they can get their hands on, creation is inspired.