Re: OVERBLOWING-"the 8-track of techniques"-NOT!!!!!!

From: "George Brooks" <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>

> But if overblowing is to die, I do not believe that the forthcoming XB-40
> will be so much as a single nail in its coffin.

and...

>  And here's the rub with the XB-40.  I think that if
> you are going to play chromatically on that instrument and have it
accepted
> as musical, you are going to have to achieve very good control of your
> bends.

Agreed.  First, they're expensive.  Secondly, the bends are all whole tone
(two steps), requiring good bend control to get good sounding semitones.

> A Richter-tuned ten-hole harmonica is capable of producing 38 distinct
> semitones if one counts the high C# obtained by overdrawing hole 10 (on a
> harp).  Of these, 19 are straight notes (simply blow or draw).  (There
would
> be 20 --10 blow and 10 draw-- but the Gs repeat at 2 draw and 3 blow.)

If it's valved, you can get several notes below the low C (blow 1).  I've
gotten mine down to Ab, and feel it can go even lower - if I practice this
(which I probaby won't - I don't really need it).

> Who among us claims to have full control over the three distinct semitones
> obtainable as draw bends in hole 3 of a Richter-tuned harmonica?  Or to
> consistently play the 2 draw half-step bend with a clean attack, accurate
> intonation, and a full tone?  Or the hole 10 half-step blow bend?

"Full control" is a rather meaningless definition.  We can strive to do our
very best, to do better, to play each note as well as another player, etc.
But who among us would claim to have "full control" over even the "natural:"
notes?

Fortunately, we don't have to have absolute "full control".  It needs to be
"good enough to get the job done".  This differs between players.  For some,
it's simply hitting the note (or something reasonably close).  For others,
it's hitting it and making it sound reasonably good.  And for some others,
it's being able to hit it exactly on pitch and make it sound *exactly* like
we want it to.

> Perhaps I am wrong and the XB-40 will deliver chromatic facility to the
> masses.  I suspect, though, that a percentage of the players who pick it
up
> will get very good on it and that the others, perhaps the majority, will
be
> daunted by the intonation issues.

You're probably right, George, going by past experience.  This is already
the case with standard diatonic harp and chromatic.  A few play them well.
Quite a few are fairly proficient.  And lots of folks just have fun making
hobby level music or joyful noise.

I don't see the XB-40 as the end-all be-all of harmonica.  It's another tool
in our arsenal.  I'm sure a few will do amazing things with it, and many
players who take some time woodshedding will find it useful.

And yes once they're out and the bugs are worked out, I'll be ordering one,
most likely in C.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
NEW VIDEO CLIP http://www.studiocam.org/rplayer/mcMV.htm

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA Harp (only) Jam, Tia Juanas, Irvine