why bother?

I got along fine for years just playing 2nd position. Never worked on my
vibrato. Never worked on tongue block. Sonny Terry had a very successful
career without a hint of 3rd position, never mind overblows or mic
techniques.

Much to my surprise, learning new techniques, playing special tuned harps,
playing chromatic, learning 3rd position, all these are a lot of fun. Helps
with my piano playing and my singing too. Forces me to know what notes I'm
playing. Keeps my ear in tune. Makes me have to transpose in my head. Gives
me more fun things to practice. I used to be bored after 15 minutes of
practicing. I can go an hour easily now. I can play different styles of
music now and mix it up so my solos don't all sound the same.

So try something new. It may be overblows, it may be the new Omni Bend, or
it could be something as simple as learning 3rd position on the
chromatic.You may not find a practical use for the technique, but just the
time spent with the instrument will be beneficial.

Rainbow Jimmy