Re: Martial art breathing techniques

> > Anyone out there have any other techniques or exercises
> (martial arts
> > related or otherwise) that help with playing?

I used to (long ago) train for running the mile (1500m)
I generally was limited in my speed because I ran out of air, and would be
tending to pass out if I ran faster.

I got sick of this and so decided to see how far I could run without opening my
mouth. I ran at a slow trot regulating my speed so that I could cope
and I didn't open my mouth at all for 3 miles.

Results... My nostrils were raw, and it seemed like I could smell roses
constantly for 3 days.... and I never again was limited by lack of air!
This was a big effect, not a minor one. All future running was limited
by my muscles, not my breathing.

I can only assume that the 3 miles of struggling to get air in and out
fast enough stretched my lungs open like they never had been, or
something like that.

If you need better breathing, maybe the (an) answer is to make better
use of the air in there, and try the above. (or a reduced version of it)

Dave Fowler