Re: Tombo UNIQUE (NON-Lee Oskar) harmonicas

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>

> Also, the "slideless" chromatic! "Tombo Chromatic Single" #S-50 and
> "Violin Scale" #1157 These things look like they have some unique
> possibilities - and none of the problems (Slide, Valves) that
> "regular" Chroms have - Although, they may have their own set of
> "issues". Is this the FIRST "hands-free" chromatic ? (with apologies
> to Vern).

Do you know that they don't have valves?

Logically, this is a standard chromatic with the mouthpiece and slide
assembly removed. To play a single note, your lips must block not only the
holes on either side but also the hole above or below.  Mentally, it would
be similar to an HFC in that instead of pushing the button you go to the
lower row of holes.

In the picture, the mp looks rounded and I suspect that to switch back and
forth between the upper and lower rows you roll the harp by rotating your
wrists. I suspect that it is a good solution to slide problems but not as
good for hands-free playing.  However I would like very much to hear from
someone who has played one on a rack and especially from someone who has
played both the S-50 and the HFC.

If it is really a better solution to hands-free playing than the HFC, then I
would not hesitate to kill the HFC and start playing the S-50 myself.  IF
there is a way to get one, I'll do it.  Maybe someone will have one at SPAH.

Vern