Daily Almanac - July 30

I have no events to report for today.

I recently recieved a CD from the German band SMORP, which features list
member Otto Becker playing the harmonica throughout the recording.  This is
definitely NOT your grandfather's harmonica.  It's obvious from listening to
this recording that Otto has spent a great deal of time listening to the old
master players and perfecting his craft.  From that point on he has taken
the harmonica into directions that few of us would expect.  The band plays
an industrial, post-punk style of music loaded with dark imagery heavy
rhythm.  It's simply not like any other harmonica I've had the chance to
hear before.  The songs are fresh and the arrangements complete.  Otto plays
in an entirely new setting like he belongs there.  A recent thread on Modern
music and the harmonica questioned where the harmonica belonged in modern
music.  Otto has answered that question.

If you're a Blues or Jazz purist, you will probably not like this CD.
However, if you have an open mind and are willing to listen to this CD
without prejudice, you will marvel at this new direction that Otto has taken
the harmonica into.  I was certainly delighted to hear something completely
different on the harmonica and I'd definitely recommend that you give this
CD a chance.

You can contact Otto at:
funharp@xxxxxx

That's all I have for today.  Have fun and practice.

Peter Krampert, author
The Encyclopedia of the Harmonica
http://www.eharmonica.net

Peter Krampert, author