Re: personal harp story (long)

Hey Steve,

What a great story! Congratulations!

I know you learned a lot from your experience and
will continue to improve and grow as a player.

For me, there's nothing like the rush of playing
for an appreciative audience... just makes that
love of the instrument go ever deeper.

Keep it up!

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

- --- Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

> This is just a little thing about me and my harp
> playing. No information
> here, nothing new for you list members.
>    For those of you who know me, i make no claims
> to being a great harp
> player. I can play basic things and I have
> improved a lot over the past few years.
> A few weeks ago i stopped at a local restaurant
> to say hello to some friends
> who were playing there. They are always kind
> enough to let me play a song or
> two and keep it simple, usually a shuffle and
> something standard.
>    So, imagine my surprise last week when the
> leader of the group called me
> and asked me if I could play with them on
> Saturday. Turns out, a lady in the
> place was there when I played, was looking for a
> band for a private party for
> employees of the local TV station. She loved the
> harmonica sound and told them
> she'd hire them if they could get the harmonica
> player.
>    Now, I should mention, the drummer, guitar
> player and bass player in this
> group are considered the best in town on those
> instruments and the band is
> popular. So we played outside last Saturday, and
> I got to use my own setup, with
> the amp   mic'ed thru the PA and the whole deal.
>  I have always wanted to
> play a full night with a quality band and this
> was my chance.
>    Nervous? No kidding. But the band is mellow
> and plays a wide variety of
> music, loosely blues-based. I survived, found
> something to play on everything
> that needed it, and had a very memorable night.
>     I pass this along because this list and some
> members here have done so
> much to help me improve. I'm not a kid (61) and
> ijust got serious about this a
> few years ago. I don't have a lot of time to
> invest,   and not a lot of musical
> talent, but I love playing and this was something
> that meant a lot to me.
> So, excuse the rambling. But those of you here
> who might wonder why they keep
> trying so hard to improve with no real reason in
> sight, keep this in mind....
> You never know when the practice and the love of
>  playing harp will all come
> together.
> Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
> still a fool for the harp

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens