Re: "Trolls" -- no harp content

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 11:20 AM
>  >..... So, I suggest that on harp-l, where there are many, many list
> members
> >who ~do~ have something positive to contribute, we totally ignore any
> >Troll's efforts to appear to be more than the annoying insects that they
> >are.  It's worth a try!
> >
> >Respectfully, Michelle
>

> In the words of Butch Cassidy (or was it the Sundance Kid?).....Who ARE
> these guys?
>
> Steve Shaw

As someone who has been subscribed to both lists and Usenet groups since the
early 90's I have to agree in general with Michelle. However, I have also
been on lists and newsgroups where at least one troll becomes something akin
to the town drunk: pitiful but quite entertaining. Then there is the
phenomenon of a truly informed contributor to a list,  who occasionally gets
bored and trolls for awhile.

/tim
sixtiesjazz@xxxxxxxxx