Dr. Alters asks:

>Was wondering if anyone who has
>tested the new XB-40 could give
>advice re: how this new product
>compares to a customized harp
>from a really experienced harp
>technician

You are comparing apples and bananas.

The XB-40 has capabilities that do not exist on a standard 20-reed
harp, i.e. being able to bend all the notes, blow and draw, down 2
semitones in a dual-reed bend. No customizer can make a 20-reed harp do
this, except - perhaps - with some radical internal ductwork.

If we let go of the unique nature of the XB-40 and focus solely on its
responsiveness, I would rate it good. I'm going by a prototype in G
that Rick let me play in mid-2002 at SPAH. The instrument has
doubtlessly changed simce then and even now is evidently going through
further changes that are delaying production.

How would I compare the XB-40 in G to, say, the Filisko in A that I
received four months later? Again, leaving aside the extended bending
capabilities of the XB-40 and the overblow capabilities of the Filisko,
the Filisko is far more sensitive, and it is also far more demanding of
me - it wants to be played a certain way or else it refuses to speak.
But when I play it the way it wants to be played - Oh, Baby!!!

By contrast, the XB-40 prototype played well - solid response with
nothing lacking, but nothing exceptional or inspiring, either (bending
abilities aside), and it was relatively forgiving. This of course
reflects an instrument made for the mass market that must tolerate a
wide level of playing approaches and levels of ability. It also
reflects a difference in craftsmanship that can be partly measured by
the difference in price - $180 for a 20-reed handcrafted Filisko, about
half that for a mass-produced 40-reed XB-40.

Winslow