James Cotton interview from 200

Saw this on BMG, thought you guys might dig it.

Andrew

=
James Cotton: Born to Play the Blues
Bob Gulla
BMG Contributing Writer

 James Cotton ranks as one of the blues' top harmonica players. Though his
style grew out of his apprenticeship with the very best, a guy named Sonny Boy
Williamson, Cotton learned his lessons well enough to develop a technique of
his own in the mid-'50s, soon after becoming a full-fledged member of Muddy
Waters' epic ensemble. Cotton had been building up to that defining moment since
he was a young boy. Born in Mississippi in 1935, Cotton first fell in love with
the harmonica as played by Williamson on an Arkansas radio station. At the
time, he was working as a farm hand and, every day on a 12:15 p.m. radio
program, he'd hear the sweet strains of Williamson's blues harp wafting across the
fields. For two years, he listened to that radio program until he could bear it
no longer. Not yet a teen, he dropped his job and traveled to find the source
of that sound, tracking Williamson down and asking the master to teach him the
basics on the instrument. Flattered, Williamson complied. In fact, he enjoyed
the company of the ambitious young Cotton so much that for the next six
years, they lived, worked, and traveled together. Before he was 20 years old,
Cotton, by then based in Memphis, had made a significant name for himself in the
blues world. His reputation reached as far north as Chicago, where Muddy Waters,
looking to replace his own harp player, extended Cotton an invitation to play
in his band. Cotton accepted and moved to Chicago. He played with Waters
until 1966 and appeared on some of electric blues' landmark recordings. Since
then, Cotton has succeeded in holding onto his prestigious pedigree right up until
the present day. He spent some time with such classic Chicago musicians as
pianist Otis Spann and Johnny Young. He formed his own band in the late '60s and
continued with it through the '70s and '80s, earning several Grammy?
nominations and recording some classic blues and blues-rock albums with the likes of
Johnny Winter and Magic Slim. Recently, Cotton released an album to commemorate
his 35th anniversary as a bandleader. The 35th Anniversary Jam of the James
Cotton Blues Band features a passel of terrific guests, from Tab Benoit and
Ronnie Hawkins to Koko Taylor and Kim Wilson. "I've always listened to a lot of
horns through the years. Guys like Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, James Moody. A
lot of the lines I play today were patterned after horn lines, solos that
artists like that played."

BMG: How did you feel about getting all of these people together to help you
celebrate your 35th anniversary? James Cotton: I was really excited. Wouldn't
you be? I had all my friends around, and we were playing great music. It made
me feel good, and it was a good way to mark 35 years. This here is something
special for me; it's very special. This one kind of got to me. Now I'm looking
forward. I don't know where I'm going right now, or what we'll be doing. I
guess it all depends on how the record does.

How did the idea to bring all these people together come about? My manager
was discussing how long I had my own band together, and he counted back starting
with 1966. That's how we got 35 years. He said, "We've got to do something
about this, call attention to it somehow." So he called a few of my friends, and
they all told him they were willing to come aboard. I was thrilled.
Did it make you look at your career differently, to have all these great
people in the studio with you? I know this. Having done this for the last 50
years, and having these people come with me to celebrate this occasion, it makes me
feel like I have given something to the people, that I have actually done
something worthwhile for all that time. And, with this record, it feels like they
have given something back to me.
Talk about some of the highlights of your career. I remember the good times
and bad times equally, don't you know. I remember first starting to play the
harp. My mother played the harp, and I was just playing it to have fun with her.
I remember learning to play like Sonny Boy and having a terrific time with
him traveling around, playing the blues. I also remember joining on with Muddy
Waters. That was a 12-year good time. But then, on the bad side, when I got to
the business end of the blues, when I began leading my own band, it was
difficult. Very difficult.
What happened to your playing when you traveled to Chicago? When I got to
Chicago from the South, it was a whole different thing. I had to relearn my way
of playing. I had to learn harp the way the Chicago guys were playing it. Not
only that, I had to learn it the way they were playing it on their records. As
a kid, I learned to play like Sonny Boy, and then, when I joined Waters, I had
to play like Little Walter. It finally came to me that I would never be quite
like either one of those people. So I started to play different things. Every
time I played a song like Little Walter, I'd throw in some Sonny Boy. Every
time I played something like Sonny Boy, there would be some Little Walter in
it. Eventually, I developed a style all my own that combined the two.
Beyond those two greats, what is your playing patterned after? I've always
listened to a lot of horns through the years. Guys like Coltrane, Dizzy
Gillespie, James Moody. I listened to them all the time. So I would have to say that a
lot of the lines I play today were patterned after horn lines, solos that
artists like that played. "The blues is still out there, only it's wearing
different clothes in 2002."

What do you make of the blues in this day and age? It's like anything else.
The blues is still out there, only it's wearing different clothes in 2002. It's
played by new machines. We didn't have those good amps. Today, people know
more about putting a record together, and there are experts in dealing with
making a new sound. Plus, the talent is different. The kids out there are younger,
and they're putting the blues across differently, a whole lot differently.
But the blues chords and the blues changes are still there. My writing hasn't
changed much either. I'll always stand by the blues. I don't fool myself. I was
born to be a blues musician.