harp positions theory

hi harp-l,
    Im new to the list.  Im trying to teach myself harmonica from some books
that i got. I was wondering if anyone could explain the positions to me
because im coming up with some contradictory opinions in the books.  some of
the books say 3rd position for a C harmonica would be D major some say D
minor.  same thing with fourth position some say A minor some say A major.
I just wondered if someone could explain that to me.  any help would be
appreciated.

                                                                    thanks,

                                                                     Ethan
Fay