re: 12th position

Hi Scorcher.

There are two ways to play in the key of D on a G harmonica-blues scale, and
major pentatonic. Pentatonic just means there's 5 notes in the scale. Almost
everything Irving Berlin wrote can be played in a major pentatonic scale.

Regular 2nd position blues scale

2D 3Db 4B 4Db 4D 5D 6B

D  F   G  Ab  A  C   D

I would guess you're playing D this way

2D 3Dbb  3D  4D 5B 6B 6D 7D 8D 8B 9B

D  E     F#  A  B  D  E  F# A   B  D

This scale works real well for melodies and country rock. Since you're
playing in the key of D I call this 2nd position, but you're right, it's
nothing like normal blues 2nd position. If you can play this scale you can
also play in 5th position, B minor. Just start on the 2B instead of the 2D.

For melodies, try either a Hohner Country tuned harp, or a Lee Oskar Melody
Maker. They have a few of the missing notes for major melodies.

If this doesn't make sense, I can explain further off list.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals