Re: delay pedal

I have carried out Juergen's mod (eventually leaving out a resistor at R204
altogether, at his suggestion) and it certainly greatly improves the response
of the Dan Echo. Perversely, I and anyone else who has tried it preferred the
modded Dan Echo with CRs or dynamics rather than crystals/ceramics. I would
certainly use this pedal for recording and other more controlled circumstances.

However, to my ear there is something about the "roomy" sound of the echo
that still makes it a little "soft", despite it being a good sound. Having tried
it back to back with numerous other devices, and if I just had the money for
one individual pedal-sized device, I would buy a Boss DD3. There is a mod
available from Kinder but they work very well straight out of the box with any mic
we've tried. The DD3 is fatter with better punch, maybe better for people who
want to hear a tighter sound on stage. The Dan Echo perhaps has more of a
"vintage" sound to it.

For what its worth Yamaha's DG Stomp has a tape echo setting that blows
anything mentioned here into the weeds, for about the same price as the options
above if you look hard enough.

All the best, Mark.