RE: One-time harp students

Scorcher mentioned the 2 x 4 method of harp instruction:
> One locally well-known guy showed me just about every trick he knew -
> shotgun style, in about 15 minute
>
> >>Mark Crowley>>
> does this qualify as 'old school' style instruction?

> Nah - If he were old school, he'd have had a 2X4 in one hand... ;-)

My harp teacher delights in telling me a story about Carey Bell taking his
lessons the hard way from Big Walter.  Evidently George "Harmonica" Smith,
his harp mentor, told it to him.  According to the story, when Bell was
having trouble learning third position, Walter got frustrated and took him
out back and smacked him up side the head every time he made a mistake until
Carey got his third position playing "down pat".  My teacher gets this evil
gleam in his eye each time he mentions this...  But, not to worry, I've got
third position coming and going!  However, if he starts in on twelveth, I'm
in trouble.  :)

Michelle