Re: Re: TB Question for Winslow[or anybody,really]

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, RHartt1234@xxxx wrote:
In a message dated 6/24/2003 7:22:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
UnknownSender@UnknownDomain writes:

I'm in the middle of the Little Walter bio and Louis Myers claims
that
he had never heard anyone before Walter do a 2 note "shake" or trill
ala 3
and 4 draw. Offhand I can't think of anyone doing it before Walter
either but it
seems like such a simple thing that someone must have done it before
him.
Anyone?
       Ryan
- --- End forwarded message ---

Well, Sonny Boy I (John Lee Williamson) used to alternate Draw 4 and
5 several times in a row (like maybe 4 or 5 times), but not at the
speed of a shake. The leap from doing this to doing it for a longer
time and speeding it up is not a big leap - at least in hindsight.

There is precedent for rapidly alternating two non-adjacent notes.
Gwyn (or Gwen) Foster used to do a version of the shimmer I
described, but with only one hole blocked out in the middle with
rapid alternation of the notes to the right and left. This was
sometime in the 1930s with groups like the Carolina Tarheels. I have
no idea if Little Walter ever heard this.

Certainly some of the swing and R&B sax players Walter listened to
must have done it - maybe this is a cross-species virus.

Winslow

- --
Harp-l is sponsored by SPAH.
Hosted by ValuePricehosting.com, www.valuepricehosting.com