re:Bb on a C harp...why?

Playing in 11th position (Bb on a C harp) is fun! I like playing in 11th
more than I do in 12th. It's bluesier sounding, and an alternative for
Country & Bluegrass songs that may not have as  much emphasis on the IV
chord as blues.
Cross position (G) is the relative minor of 11th position(Bb), or visa
versa, 11th position is the relative major of cross position, so there
is a natural relationship there.
The I-IV-V chords are based on the notes Bb, Eb & F, respectively. Yes,
it is difficult to get the root of the IV chord, (Eb), and you need to
overblow the #6 hole to get the octave of the I chord (Bb), but this can
be worked around.
You can use patterns that use the flatted(or minor) third,  major third,
fifth and sixth of each of these chords (most of the classic
"Boogie-Woogie" pattern & all available w-o overblows), and avoid the
root of the IV chord. Maybe it's limiting, but I find it a fun
challenge.
Also, it's a great position for playing VI-II-V-I progressions,
especially when all those chords are major.
Think about it. The VI chord is G, the II chord is C, and the V chord is
F, all easily played and arpeggiated on a C harmonica. Try "Walk Right
In" (Memphis Jug Band & others). You start on Bb (#3 draw double-bend),
bend down to the A & Ab, land on the G (#2 draw), and do patterns based
on the familiar G, C & F chords from there. When you hit the Eb later in
the progression, just play a pattern withou the root. This works out
even easier on this song if you play a harmony to the melody starting
from the D (#4 draw).
As for intonation, it's nice to break out of the tonality / mixolydian
modality of the cross position once in a while. It's also good to know
how to cover an additonal key if you don't have the "primary " harmomica
for that key.

Erik Eisen:  http://www.mindspring.com/~erike1/Harmonica