Re: re:Bb on a C harp...why?

While most of what we might want to do can be done in 1st or 2nd position,
bering able to play in all 12 positions makes us more flexible.  It forces
us to think outside the box.

Like Dennis, I most often use 1st thru 6th and 12th positions.  However, I
often use the other positions AS PIECES to help me play tunes I couldn't
otherwise play.

For example, I sometimes play Harlem Nocturne in 2nd position (I always use
a C harp, so this is G minor).  The bridge goes to 10th position (Bb
mixolydian major).  I don't often use 10th, but I know the associated scales
decently, and this enables me to play HN pretty much effortlessly in
2nd/10th position.

But I also play it in 5th/2nd positions (Em/G).  I prefer this for me.  But
a lot of sax players do it in G/Bb.  I'm prepared, either way.

AND I play the two different positions differently.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
6/11 10pm BB Kings, Universal Citywalk
6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA