Re: Positions

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, WLeeLewis@xxxx wrote:

In a message dated 6/27/03 5:56:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
ironman@xxxx writes:

<< For example, I sometimes play Harlem Nocturne in 2nd position (I
always use
 a C harp, so this is G minor). >>

Every time I think I'm making progress on this positions thing, I get
completely confused.

Now, second position on a C harp is G Major which corresponds with
the Circle
of Fifths.

=====

There's the source of your confusion. G major on a C-harp is second
position. So is G minor. So is G dorian, G mixolydian, or anything
else that has a tonal center of G.

Positions name the relation between the labeled key of the harp (C in
this case) and the tonal center of the music (G in the above
examples), regardless of the scale used to play the music.

Winslow