re: why play in different positions

What you practice depends on what you need and the time you have to
practice. Each position has a different flavor. Knowing a few positions
allows you to modulate (change keys). Most popular music modulates to a
bridge, and frequently a break will modulate as well.If you want to play
bebop on a diatonic, you better know your positions because every chord has
a different scale. Granted this is pretty extreme

When I practice I focus mostly on 2nd position. That's what I need the most.
Lately I find I'm using a vartiation of 2nd, where I'm playing a major
pentatonic scale instead of a blues scale.This same scale, when you start on
a different note, is 5th position. With a C harp I'll use this scale to play
Me and My Uncle in G, or start at a different note and use the same scale to
play Little Wing in E minor. It's fun to switch from Fox Hunt to a major
pentatonic jam ala the Allman Brothers.

Using different positions can help you break out of a rut as well. Think
outside the box. As Richard Hunter suggests, alternate tuned harps can work
wonders for new sounds also- almost instantly. Same with a chromatic. Now
imagine playing different positions on an alternate tune harp.

Find out what you need to know to play your music. Most of us will only need
a few different positions and all the tone and expression techniques we can
get. But when you get bored with working on tongue blocking, try playing in
a different position for a little while. It's fun.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals