Re: Positions

From: "Scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>

> WITHOUT overblows / overbends, isn't the scale that we play in 2nd
> position a Mixolydian Mode "by definition"?

Nope.

Using normal bends, you can achieve pretty much any scale somewhere.  And of
course we're assuming a major diatonic.  There are myriads of tunings.
country tuning (or Melody Maker) will give you an Ionian major scale - IF
you don't bend.

But that's not really the point.  The point is that a player WITH THE PROPER
SKILLS can play it.  If we eliminate overblows, or valved bends, etc., we're
simply limiting the skill range of the player.  This is a direct reflection
on the player, NOT the INSTRUMENT.

> > It's sometimes convenient to associate positions with modes, but
> it's also
> > inaccurate.
> >
> Hey, I'm not an authority by any means, but this post has me totally
> confounded - everything I've read about positions up to now has them
> inseparable with the modes "normally" associated with them.

I've seen a lot of things like this, too.  They're wrong.  While a
position - on a particular tuning - may LEND itself to a particular set of
notes, it is not TIED to these.

Let's take a very common exception to the "rule" you cited above, that "2nd
position is mixolydian major".  Every reasonably skilled blues harper I know
frequently plays 2nd position with minor 3rds.  The 3Db is a minor 3rd, and
is one of the more prominent "blues harp" notes.

4th position is "supposed to be" Aeolian minor, and yet I frequently play it
as a major.  3Dbb 3D 4Db 4D 5B gives you the first five notes of a major
scale.

Using overblows or (as I do) a valved harp (which allows you to bend every
reed, blow or draw) makes it childsplay to play any position in any mode.
All you have to do is learn the scales.

Keep in mind, too, that positions apply to ALL harmonicas, not just
diatonics.  It's (obviously) possible to play a chromatic in any position,
any mode.

One reason I (personally) don't like associating positions and modes is that
it limits our thinking.  "Oh, crossharp - that's mixolydian", "Oh, 3rd
position, that's Dorian", etc.  If we get to thinking like this, we won't be
so likely to experiment "outside of the box" as it were.

Even folks who "just wanna play da blues" can get trapped by this.  All the
"greats" make extensive use of bends - and yes, various modes.  Sonny Boy
Williamson II played blatantly minor songs using 2nd position, or as you
said,

> As SBW said: Help Me!

;-)

Hope this helps.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Every Sun, 2pm Stagger Inn, 9018 Alondra, Bellflower, except:
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine
6/11 10pm BB Kings, Universal Citywalk
6/18 7-11pm Mission Tobacco, Riverside CA