Re: Positions

> > If we play ANY mode in G on a C harp (any of the various majors and
> minors,
> > diminished, etc.), it's 2nd position.
>
> WAIT:
> WITHOUT overblows / overbends, isn't the scale that we play in 2nd
> position a Mixolydian Mode "by definition"?

No it is not.
It depends on wich nites you played bent.

If you play 3dbb an 3d it is mixolydian, if you play 3dbb and 3db it is
dorian minor.

if you play 3dbbb and 3db it is the second mode of F melodic minor

if you play 3dbbb, 3db and 4db it becomes the second mode of F harmonic
minor.

So it is not mixolidian by any definition.

> I'm not arguing the point - I'm just asking for clarification. Can any
> of y'all explain this in a way that a 3rd-grader could understand? I
> don't want to keep laboring under a misconception (about modes), if
> there's a better way to understand positions.

Positions indicate the relation of the key you are playing in to the key of
the harp.
The key you play in is the tonal center. The mode you use for playing in
that key is your own choice.

Certain positions make playing a certain mode easier than others.
This is why the modes and positions are linked sometimes.

However there is no law that says that if you play in 12 position you have
to play in lydian mode.
You can play a major scale if you want to (and you wouldn't even have to
overblow anything) and you would still be playing in 12th position.

Tinus
http://www.tenhole.com
Overblows and Overdraws on the Diatonic Harmonica.

http://www.overblow.com/harmonica
Scale and Chord finder for the harmonica and all alternative tunings.