Re: Weekend Yard Sale score

Richard wrote:
> I've been reflecting lately that eBay has destroyed the yard sale
> bargain.

While ebay may have destroyed yard sale and pawn shop bargains for items like
vintage Fender amplifiers and old Leica camera equipment, it has created
marvelous opportunities in other areas.  For example, I have a fairly complete
collection of pre-WWII manufactured Marine Band harmonicas, all bought on ebay
for an average price of about $12 each.  I don't know how I would have found
these without ebay, it might have taken a lifetime of scouring antique and
second-hand stores.

I also have a few vintage microphones purchased from ebay, including a pair of
Lafayette crystal Slim-X clones ($20 for the pair), a Shure 545SD ($45 with two
mic stands and three cables), a couple of Electro Voice 924s (crystal lavalier
mics, less than $15 each) and a beautiful Geloso crystal mic ($45), which is
easily worth three times what I paid for it.  I have also bought a few old
handmade Meisterklasses for less than $20 each, and a couple of pieces of
perfectly servicable Harman Kardon stereo equipment.

- -tim