Re: Same Old Thing

> No doubt Howard Levy is the Master, but Carlos del Junco is a great one,
as is
> Greg Szlapcynski.  Lots of guys are using them in what is otherwise pretty
> normal 2nd position play, like Rosco (Maybe August) and Adam Gussow and
Jason
> Ricci.  I think the use of overbends takes these guys beyond the
traditional.

> -tim

I second most of what Tim said. In fact, Howard Levy may be the most
impressive of the lot musically, but my money is on Szlapczinski for
overblows that don't stick out. In Howard's stuff, they are still glaring
sometimes. I don't think it's a matter of doing them better, but rather it's
a matter of using them in places where they won't stick out.

For what it's worth, I use overblows in my playing but I really think there
are serious limits to their use. I'm not saying it's impossible to use them
in any context, but I haven't heard anyone, (not even HL) who can do it.
Maybe I should move to Holland and meet up with Tinus...

;-)

Ben FELTEN, Editor
www.planetharmonica.com