RE: was positions now is scales and modes

<quote>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:26:33 -0700
From: "Scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: was positions now is scales and modes

Hey, all
Thanks for the clarification on the Positions vs Modes thang.
I'm goin' back to the woodshed now to "unlearn" a few things.

I now (think I) realise that:

The KEY I'm playing in relative to the key of the HARP I'm playing is
the "position".

The NOTE CHOICE I play within that key determines the "mode".

The relationship "commonly" associated between modes and positions is,
I guess, just a convenience of association because some modes "lay
better" in certain positions.

....Is that right?

- - -Scorcher
</quote>

Pretty much, sort of.

I prefer to put it this way:
Positions do not dictate the scale you use, only the key.
You can figure this out with the circle of fifths and an awareness of what key
the harmonica is in.

Some positions lend themselves more readily to some scales over others,
especially when (like me) you don't regularly employ overblows.

I have made a useful music theory tool which is a circle of fifths and an
intervals indicator:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/intervalsfifths.html

You print both pictures out, cut out the smaller circle, glue or tape it to
cardboard and pin it to the center of the circle of fifths.   The numbers
indicate scale degrees in relation to the major scale.  You turn the middle
circle so that the main arrow (the tonic, with 1 under) points to the key you
are playing in.  Don't confuse the numbers with postions - they have nothing to
do with it.... but theres no reason why one can't make another middle circle
with positions on it... I've started drafting one up as a result of this
email... watch that webpage.

BTW Harp On! Harmonica Resources no longer has pop-up ads with a very big thanks
to Jason.

All the best
G.