Re: New website on traditional Irish ( but not Celtic) harmonica

Well Steve, I've got a left handed listing your links page, for which I suppose I should thank you:

> MORE LINKS:
>
>  http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/celharmdisc.htm
> (Celtic - ugh! - harmonica discography. Note
> especially Donald Black, the Murphys and
> Brendan Power)

But that gutteral note of disdain at my use of the term "Celtic?" If you must be a purist, I'll concede the point that Celtic refers properly to a barbarian race that swept out of Central Asia around 500 BC, sacked Rome around 400 BC, and invaded Western Europe somwhere around then, becoming known to the Romans as the Gauls. Eventually they became civilized, but don't ask the English about that. Yes, we should say "traditional Irish music", or Scottish, or Welsh, or Breton, etc. I know we should. But words evolve in meaning, and "Celtic" is, much as you may abhor it, an accepted term now for the traditional folk music of the lands where
Gaelic was, or still is spoken. It's just real handy, so I use the word in full knowledge that if I were a more pristine scholar, I would avoid it as you do.

See also:
About Celtic Harmonica-find out what the taboo is all about.
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/celtharmonicamain.htm

Free Celtic Harmonica Arrangements-play taboo tunes.
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harmarrmain.htm

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm