Re: Soprano Saxophone

>I just need some information from the group: I play the chromatic harmonica.

  Good to Excellent

 I am thinking about taking lessons on the soprano saxophone, being that I
used to play the clarinet.

  Ahaaaa! key word.

 Does anyone on the list play the soprano saxophone?

  Have tried it (long ago). I don't particularly like the "snake-charmer" tone.
It was fine for a while, but after many months of constant practice, it
wore on me.

 If so, how does it compare to the alto sax and the clarinet regarding ease
of playing,

  Don't know about Alto Sax, I played Tenor(Eb) same time as clarinet.

  Equal to clarinet. Maybe a little easier. Several of the keys have
"rollers" on them (depends on brand OR $). This makes "slurs" easier.
Difference with SopSax over clarinet, many keys have your fingers on top of
"doors" (for a POSITIVE closure) instead of over "ringed" openings (which
CAN be "off-hit").

 embroshure,

  Embochure same as clarinet. Mouthpiece virtually identical EXCEPT because
of "barrel" size of "riser", they are NOT interchangeable. The VAST
assortment of mouthpieces these days makes it almost impossible to not find
one just right for YOU.

  Ramps on mouthpieces (angle of reed attack) AND ramps INSIDE of
mouthpieces can be pretty bewildering and it may take some time and
experimenting to find one just right for you.

  Reeds are another avenue. They come in various MOHs, (just like gems),
and can affect your tone, speed, response, and sustain. Get a teeth guard
till inside of lower lip gets used to the pressure.

 etc. Are there similarities to the clarinet?

  Practically same (except one is metallic sound & one is dull sound)

 If so what are they? I appreciate the input.
                                          Gary Schwartz, MD
                                          TSGS79@xxxxxxx