Re: Soprano Saxophone

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:47:10 EST, TSGS79@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I just need some information from the group: I play the chromatic harmonica.
>I am thinking about taking lessons on the soprano saxophone, being that I
>used to play the clarinet. Does anyone on the list play the soprano
>saxophone? If so, how does it compare to the alto sax and the clarinet
>regarding ease of playing, embroshure,  etc. Are there similarities to the
>clarinet? If so what are they? I appreciate the input.

I highly recommend either learning on the alto or tenor. The sop sax is a the most difficult of the saxophones to master in terms of tone and intonation, and you'd
do yourself a favor to learn on an instrument that allows you to focus more on simply learning the instrument. You can pick up a used Yamaha student horn (the
YAS-23) for $250-500, and easily sell it for the same price in a year or two when you've learned enough to progres to a better or different horn.

Learning on the clarinet has much to offer, in terms of versatility, but be aware that you'll still have a lot to re-learn if and when you switch to sax. The same
could be said for flute.

My basic recommendation: Pick up a YAS-23 and a copy of DeVille's Universal method for saxophone. Take at least a few lessons from a seasoned player,
and practice from the Deville book religiously.

- --
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company
Peach Orchard, MO