Re: reeds that won't sound

Jason...
Are you playing a chromatic harp ?

You are on the right track--a cold harmonica with windsavers
(valves) will do exactly what you are experiencing (they will "buzz" too!).

When the reed plates are cold, your warm breath carries moisture so
when it hits the cold reeds the moisture condenses and the windsavers
stick.

Its best to warm the harmonica up to at least body temperature by either
carrying it close to your warm body, rubbing it briskly with your hands
until
it warms up, or use a heating pad on a low setting to warm it up.

If the room is cold, you are going to have to try keeping the harmonica
warm if you plan on playing it again... a heating pad is great for this.

My CX-12 really needs to be warmed up before I play it or I get a lot
of  sticking valves... When the home furnace is running, I just set it on
the
heat register for a few minutes before I play it.

So try warming it up first and it should work much better !

Ken Hildebrand

<<Why does a reed get "stopped" so that it won't play, and then, if you blow
harder, it "pops" and plays fine, but each time you try to attack it anew it
is "stopped" again?

How do I minimize this?

Does this only happen on blow notes?  It seems like it.

I'm wondering if playing in a cold room makes it worse when warm breath hits
the reed and wind saver.>>