Re: Rod Piazza mod

In a message dated 3/20/2003 4:48:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, Markburness
writes:

> Even a 5 meg pot in an Astatic mic will not allow the mic to "deliver what
> it is capable of" unless that mic in turn is plugged into a significantly
> higher load. There was some discussion on the list in which became apparent
> that 5Meg was the largest value pot that could realistically be installed
> into a JT30 shell (if anyone knows better please say so, retail source &
> part no. would be nice). The 5Meg pot is used to reduce the effect of the
> pot loading down the impedence of the input circuit.
>
> Pot size when considering CR/CM/Hi-Z dynamics would appear to be less of an
> issue as these mics typically have elements with much lower resistances.
>
> Personally I prefer an on/off switch on crystal/ceramic mics and blow more
> gently when I want to be quieter :-)
>
> Regards, Mar

       If you could find a 10 meg pot,I'd say use that.The problem is the
impedance mismatch when you use a pot of a low value.You will loose alot of
the low freq. response with a low value like the 500K's that Astatic put's in
them.Ever try to measure the impedance of a crystal element?Chances are you
couldn't unless you have a very good VOM meter that will go that high.That's
all.Impedance mismatch.It's hard enough finding a good quality 5 meg pot let
alone anything higher,although you can get them if you know where to
look.Just about any guitar amp will have a high enough load resistance to
accomidate a crystal element and have it sound good........Dave