Taro Senga

Reading the messages about Big Bones at the San Jose Masterclass got me reminiscing
about Taro Senga the (then) 8 year old prodigy.  He made such an impression on me at
the Masterclass, not just because of his technical prowess, but because he was making
great music - regardless of his age.  There are lots of harp players who can impress me
with their facility on the instrument, but very few who make music that impresses me
independently of the instrument the music is being played on.  Taro's music moved me. I
felt like I was in the presence of someone of the caliber of "Little" Stevie Wonder.

Anyway, I did a Google search and couldn't find anything recent about him.

But I did find some interesting older cites:

>From the Denver Jazz Festival website:

TOKYO BLUES: Jazz and Blues in Japan director: Craig McTurk     USA/1999/62min
On its surface, this captivating documentary explains how Japan came to be home to the
world?s most zealous fans of jazz and blues music. It does this by skillfully employing
musical performances, historic photos and film, and Japanese and American musicians who
discuss the popularity of jazz and blues in Japan for over 70 years. But this film also
describes how varied cultures can contribute to the musical development of jazz, thus
taking us into the world of Ethnomusicology. Of special interest is the 8-year old
blues harp sensation,Taro Senga, who, as you will see, completely startles Toots
Theilemanns with his playing. And Theilemanns mind you, is the world?s most respected
harmonica player!

>From a Japanese Unisys website:

Q:"Mr. Sanada, I heard you have a harmonica band, aren't you?"