Re: May give up my bullets...

In a message dated 3/22/03 12:04:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
adams_john@xxxxxxx writes:

> Last night I tried a Shure SM57 that our drummer had in his mic kit.  I was
> amazed at the sound I was able to get with it!  I have been using Astatic
> crystal JT-30 mics before.  I could never turn my amp above 5 without
> feedback, but with the SM57, I had it cranked to 10 with no feedback and
> was
> actually able to keep up with the rest of the band without having to mic
> into the PA.  I also found it easy to cup and hold.  Any one else had a
> similar experience?  I had tried a Shure "green bullet" in the past but
> didn't like the sound as much as the JT-30.  Now I may sell one of my
> JT-30s
> to get a SM57.  Any one want to trade?  I have two mics that are both
> customized with a volume pot and a 1/4" jack on the back.  One is in a
> painted JT-30 case, the other in a case with a fin, with a JT30 element.
>
> John Adams
> www.deludedblues.com

John,

The Shure 57 is one of the best harp mics going period. Jason Ricci uses it
and I swear sounds as good if not better than most people playing nowadays. A
Shure 57 should be in your arsenal because:

1. It is one of the best harp mics made, and comes in handy as a spare

2. Is useful for micing amps if a PA doesn't have good mic or any mics to mic
your amp with

3. The Shure 57 is not fragile like those old crystal mics. This mic is
tough, I have seen them with beat to hell and still running fine from many
engineer/sound people.

I use a Shure 57 on occasion, my wish is to go to it full time, but the stick
mics cramp my hands. I currently use a Biscuit mic which is pretty close
soundwise to the Shure 57. My advice is to buy the Shure 57 and use that,
make shure you grab a impedence converter too.

Andrew