Dallas trip

Seeing Hash Brown post about players needing more recognition sparked my
conscience. I met Hash a couple of weeks ago when I went to Dallas on a
business trip. Here is a guy that was happy to hear I was in town, and
picked me up at my hotel on the way to his gig. I had never heard him play,
but knew of him from harp-l. When I searched google for Dallas blues jams,
he was the one that came up.

We went to a joint called the Hole in the Wall, and I got a burger while
Hash circulated amongst the patrons, who all knew him. That night, Hash was
backing up a Canadian guitarist named JW Jones on harmonica. Hash started
playing harp, and I was instantly impressed. Big fat tone, innovative 1st
position runs, with no sign of the bottom of the well. It was a welcome
change from San Diego where everyone seems to be stuck in 2nd position 95%
of the time with only a few brave souls venturing into 1st or 3rd. Hash
mentioned that Sam Myers might be dropping in that night.

I got to play a little drums and harp then went back to my table for a Lone
Star.  I looked at the bar and there was Sam Myers sipping some ice water.
Hash started playing and Sam walked up in front of the stage , pointed a
finger at HB and said, "Boy I think you need a lesson". It turns out that
Sam is Hash's friend and mentor. Sam got up and sang.  He is great. I had
never seen him before. If you don't know, Sam tours extensively with Anson
Funderburgh and the Rockets. Yes, THAT Sam Myers.

Anyway, I played at The Bone the next night for Hash's weekly Jam, and the
Hole in the Wall the following night,. The last night, I went to Lota's
Goat, the smokiest bar I have ever been in, and played a little at the open
Mic there.

Does it sound like I had fun in Dallas? I did. And it is mostly because of
my new friend, Hash Brown. Thanks a million, Brian. You really are top
notch.

Oh, I did not mention Hash's Guitar playing. I wish i could clone him!! He
plays great guitar. He lays back putting the perfect rhytm accompaniment
down, then takes a solo that shows you he hsa heard every lick maginable and
rejected them all as passe'. His guitar playing stands out. His harmonica
playing is stellar.

If SPAH doesn't invite Hash Brown to participate in a big way this coming
August, they are missing the boat.

Did you hear me, HOOT and SPAH!??! AASK HASH BROWN TO PARTICIPATE IN THE
CONVENTION.  This guy deserves to be heard. You gonna like it!!!

Those of you that know me know that I am not one to throw out such high
praise lightly.

Thanks again Hash, for a lovely time in Dallas.

hj