Re: comb repair

Dane...

I would use a wood glue like Elmers' (the yellow stuff--not the white),
and clamp it until it completely dries.

For sealing wood combs, I have done a few wood combs using
a non-toxic wood preservative (actually a blend of exotic nut oils)
used for wood items like salad bowls, butcher blocks, and cutting boards.

I got mine from Eagle America Woodworkers store near me, but
they do mail order.  Here is the stuff (item# 443-1000):

http://www.eagle-america.com/html/catalog/productGroup.asp?id=333780

I apply it with a small paint brush, and repeat coats until the oil no
longer
gets absorbed by the wood.  Wipe off the excess with a clean rag or paper
towel.  This oil will keep the comb from drying out and cracking, and it
should not swell from water moisture.

You want to make sure the wood comb is smooth and flat, so you may
need to sand it prior to applying the oil.  You can also sand afterwards,
but sandpaper will clog up easily from the oily dust.

This oil seems to work well so far.  A repeat treatment may be needed
sometime down the road, but I'm not sure... time will tell.

Ken Hildebrand

PS.  Looking forward to the 2003 Buckeye Harmonica Fest !