Re: Stage volume...

I agree. I play now and then in a small Polish neighborhood called Hegewisch
in South Chicago. There a lot of old (1920's and older) "shot and beer"
joints there and a couple have small halls attached to the back of the
barroom. The raised stages are usually very small since they were built for
a tiny "oompah oompah" drum kit and an accordion player for polkas. Playing
blues in these small halls with just minimal amplification is great. One of
the halls had a wood dance floor and the back of the stage was surrounded
with heavy red curtains on three sides which made for the warmest sound I've
ever heard. I use a late 50's Gibson Skylark and the natural acoustics of
the hall creates an unbelievable  "slapback" reverb sound that bounces off
the back wall. In this setting the immediacy of the sound on the stage lets
the magic happen and really gets the band's groove on. I can only imagine
what the interior of the F&J Club in Gary or the Blue Flame Lounge in
Chicago must have sounded like when the "greats" played there "back in the
day".