Re: Busking Amps w/ effects power

<quote>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:36:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Jp Pagan <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Busking Amps w/ effects power

hey y'all,

  just out of curiosity, are there any batt. powered
amps out there that can also run an effects pedal? (or
say, a Harp Commander...)
  i thought i remembered seeing an amp with a plug for
wall-warts built in, but i can't remember what kind of
amp it was...

    hope everyone's havin a good weekend,

   --Jp
</quote>

No ... but, if you want to use your Harp Commander with a battery pack its
very simple to make one.   I made this with Ron's approval. The Harp
Commander is built to take a lot of punishment so don't be too worried about
doing damage to it - although don't ask for trouble by plugging it into the
mains socket.

>From Radio Shack or Dick Smith purchase a project box slightly bigger than
needed for three transistor radio 9volt batteries, 3x 9volt battery clips, 1
length of insulated wire (2 core), a power plug that fits into the Harp
Commander., heat shrink to cover the battery clip wire solder joints and to
cover the back of the power plug.

With the box you drill a hole in one corner for the wire to come in through,
pull it through so that you've got enough to play with inside the box, tie a
knot in it so it can't be pulled back out through the hole.
Work out how you will place the three 9volt batteries in and from that where
you want the 3x 9volt battery clips.   You want to connect them in series to
each other black to red, black to red with one black and one red which you
will connect to the wire you've installed.   Solder and wrap each joint with
heat shrink to avoid any shorts.   You want to keep the wire around the
edges and out of the way.   I found that I could fill any extra space in the
project box by gluing in foam to the inside of the box.

With the power connector, slip a section heat shrink down the wire, solder
the wire to the connector (tip is positive/red), and then heat the heat
shrink over the connector's back so that nothing is exposed.

I used a hot glue gun to secure the wires inside the box - just to avoid
damage or trouble when you're fumbling around in the dark putting fresh
batteries in because you forgot them before turning up to the gig and that
sort of thing.

Lastly if the project box is two halfs that simply sit together you want
something to stop it popping apart - I just glued valcro to the top and
bottom and used two strips wrapped around to hold it together - means I can
wrap the wire lead up with the valcro when packing it away too.   The
project boxes I use slip into your jacket pocket easily enough.

You may think of extra things like wiring in a switch and possibly an LED.

I've made two of these and I have 9 NiMH rechargable batteries that I rotate
between them and the recharger.   With fully charged batteries you should
get at least one full gig out of a box.

Alternatively you may ask Ron to make you a battery pack.  His are stylish
and the Harp Commander sits on top of it nicely.

Now you're free to visit a pawn shop and purchase a second hand 100watt car
stereo amp and 100watt stereo speaker, then radio shack and get a 12volt
rechargable battery and charger, and find enough wood to knock a cabinet
together around it - bingo!  100watt battery run busking amp that can
compete with the boys on the road.

Cheers,
G.