RE: Bushman Harps

Hey Dwayne,

Thanks for your interest in the Bushman Soul's Voice harmonicas.  I am
the guy who created the Bushman line of harmonicas, and I own Harp
Depot.  You are doing the right thing by checking out Hohner and Lee
Oskar and now maybe the Soul's Voice.  It's best to try out several
different models to get an idea of what's out there, then choose what
you like best.  Keep in mind that when you ask folks for their opinions
on which harmonica to buy, it's the same as asking them which girl you
should marry!  I don't know about you, but I'd rather form my own
opinions and do my own experimenting.

I need to mention that Staggerin' Jim's comment about the Soul's Voice
being tuned A=450 is completely incorrect - I would be willing to give
anybody DOUBLE their money back for a Bushman Soul's Voice that is tuned
out-of-the-box at 450Hz on ANY hole!  The SV is Just tuned with a Hz
layout that's very similar to a Marine Band and Special 20 ranging from
as low as 438Hz up to 444Hz.  I can provide the exact layout for anyone
who's interested.  The SV goes as well with other instruments as the
MB's and 20's do.  Unlike many popular models, the SV is very
consistently tuned, that's how I can safely make the "Double Your Money
Back" challenge.  And when "Harpgawd" called the tone of the SV "thin" -
I'm sure glad that some of my favorite harmonica players in the world
don't agree with him.  Check out Mike Stevens who's an absolutely
fantastic player out of Canada and fan of the Bushman line. He gives the
Soul's Voice credit on his latest CD, "The World is Only Air".  And
Harper out of Australia is doing incredible things on a harmonica.  I've
never heard anyone's licks sound as aggressive, edgy and rock-n-rollin'
as Harper's.  He cranks them out gig after gig on his Bushman SV's - no
other harps hold up for him.  Check out his CD's recorded with the SV's.
I could provide quite an impressive list of loyal SV players - many of
them are reading this post.  The bottom line is that the Soul's Voice
isn't for everyone - it may not be for you, but it sure is worth a try -
I'd get one!  And while you're at it you should try another Bushman -
the Delta Frost!  The Delta Frost is Equal tuned 441Hz up and down just
like the Oskar - and it's got Stainless Steel covers all for only
$19.95.  It is a work horse with a completely different tone than the
Oskar.
See http://harpdepot.com/productdetail/~Model/7~/d.html

In the end, you might end up right back where you started with a Hohner
or an Oskar. At Harp Depot, we don't just sell our own Bushman brand -
we have Hohners, Oskars, Herings and Suzukis too!  Hohner sponsors our
Bean Blossom Blues Fest.  I grew-up playing the Hohner Marine Band.  And
Lee Oskars - I don't have to like them, to like the way so many players
are happy with them.  Hering makes a product that many players like, and
Suzuki just might have the most consistent quality product out there.
Just like harmonica players, harmonica makers each have something nice
to offer, it's just a matter of finding the one that suits you best.
Enjoy the journey - harmonicas have given me so much joy lately.  I
joined a band here in central Indiana called Blackjack Davey.  We're
playing bluesy rock-n-roll, and I'm in heaven.  I'm REALLY into
Butterfield too - I'm trying to be his student to the "T".  I'm learning
everything I can from his East West record.  That's what it's all about
- - being thrilled with the music.  Being in the process of finding the
right harp is a fun time - for some, it's a personal evolution process
that never really ceases.  Good luck and THANKYOU for your service to
the USA!

John Hall
Harp Depot
www.harpdepot.com