digitech vocal 300 review

On Nov 16, 2003, at 11:10 PM, G. wrote:

> Well, Richard Hunter is the only person who talked much about the
> VC508 to
> begin with   Perhaps you could start the trend with the Digitech Vocal
> 300.
>
> Glad you found something you like.  Thats the main thing hey?

Hi everyone.  I have been using this unit for over a year now.  I have
mentioned it in the past, but it seems like it has not caught on in the
harmonica community. I thought I would give it a nice review, you
should really check it out.

Here we go...

THE DIGITECH VOCAL 300 has everything you could want for getting a
great harp sound in a live environment-fast and easy. It is designed
for vocal mikes and singers so it is super clean or saturated,
depending upon your custom settings. Therefore, it is an easy
transition for harmonica players to use it.

It is an all in one floorboard unit and has footswitches to scroll
through your custom sounds and a volume/expression pedal.  It has
everything-- Mic pre and voice characters, compression, EQ, noise gate,
chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, vibrato, strobe, doubler, envelope,
pixelator, detune, pitch, Whammy, digital delay, analog delay,
ping-pong delay, 8 reverb types and more. It comes with 38 fully
programmable studio quality effects (up to 7 effects at once). The
built-in expression pedal can be assigned to control your choice of up
to 3 parameters in real-time. Once you find and fine tune your favorite
presets, you can use the led display to call them anything you want.

It only weighs 3.76 lbs, it has a CD Input: 1/8 in. TRS. It has very
good converters A/D/A: 24-bit, the sample rate is 44.1 kHz, the inputs
are quarter inch and XLR !!!! The outputs are stereo quarter inch TRS
and Mono XLR.

The new version has usb outputs and a rhythm machine, plus a few more
goodies.

Plus, this thing is built like a tank. It also has a master output so
if the dunderhead engineer doesn't give you enough monitor, you just
reach down and crank up the master output knob and you will have plenty
of volume. Setup is a breeze, plug in the mike, power it up and send a
cable to the mixer. The assortment of effects and volume pedal gives
you an edge that guitar players  have utilized.

I have tried some of the guitar effects units for the harmonica with
limited success. I have found that they certainly could color and
distort my sound, but if I wanted super clean sounds, the frequency
response of some of the guitar units were a bit lacking,  I believe
this baby runs 20-20,000 hz so the top end is super clean.  Plus, this
is a footcontrolled unit so accessing your sounds become a breeze.  You
can even use the volume control as an expression pedal to control the
amount of delay or reverb, for example.

The only drawbacks that I can find is that the bypass switch is placed
too close to the expression pedal...be careful not to hit it
accidently. Also, the quality of the reverbs are fine for live
performance, but I would not use these reverbs in the studio.

Also, I found some of the distortion mike preamps were a bit too
distorted at low settings. I found excellent results just turning up
the input knob and overdriving the front end of the unit. So, when you
play soft, the sound is clear. When you blow it harder, it distorts
accordingly and naturally.

I have a monday night gig with a jazz band. This unit sounds
unbelievable with my chromatic playing jazz standards and then gets as
nasty as you want to be for the diatonic blues. Plus, I can add my
effects for some of the spatial compositions and life is great!!. And
the soundman loves it because he does not have to ride my level for the
ballads to the rockers and adjust reverb levels. And the EQ gives me
the smoothness or edge that I require.

The price- 200 dollars.

You can find more information at digitech.com

No, I do not own stock in this company-- just passing along the news of
a great product for harmonica players.

peace and harps,

randy singer in miami