re: xb 40 a bomb

<quote>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:42:47 EST
From: Toungblock@xxxxxxx
Subject: xb 40 a bomb
you know why you can't get one?? cause there haveing big problems with them.
end of story.
</quote>

Hi Tongblock
  Why do you say that?
What is your experience with them?

  From the couple of XB-40s I've had here I think they are a good
instrument, like all stock instruments they leave something to be desired in
their reed setup but it wasn't anything that couldn't be seen to with 30
minutes on the bench.

  I understand that perhaps Hohner jumped the gun, both in their initial
prerelease announcements (and later having to say that keys below Low E are
not available after all).  And it sounds like they announced their release
somewhat ahead of schedule and now Hohner Germany are working hard to roll
out stock on time.  So yes, they're having trouble but mostly in meeting the
demands they've set for themselves.

  But I'd be willing to say that the instruments they have sold to date are
intrinsically just as good as any other stock instrument in production.

  The only real design drawback the XB-40 has is the one size fits all comb
which is causing a few trouble spots with keys at either extreme.
  But considering that this is the first radically different harmonica
design that has been released in some years, its a very bold and risky move
for Hohner to make.
  So they have to keep their initial investment costs under control and as
each injection mold is a very expensive investment its quite understandable
that they've started with just the one comb size.
  Perhaps down the track when the instrument has gone some way to paying off
its initial outlay they may consider investing in a second comb design for
the lower keys or perhaps for the higher keys.   But its a bit much to ask
for much more than what they're doing now.

  Also I don't know just what harmonica players are expecting from the
instrument.  But you cannot simply pick up the instrument and expect it to
play like a regular harmonica.   Its going to take some time to learn how to
make it work the way you want it to, just as if you were to pick up a
chromatic harmonica, or pickup a Filisko set up for overblows, or Winslow's
discrete comb harmonica, or any of  the stock altered tunings available....
anything like this will require some adaption and practise on the players
part before you can really get the results you are seeking.

  The XB-40 is not a bomb.  Its another harmonica design with its own
strengths and weaknesses.  I think the people responsible for getting it on
the market should be congratulated for their foresight, inventiveness and
perseverance.

Best Regards
G.