RE: Random notes on XB-40

I just received my second XB-40 today, in the key of C. Per Hohners
instructions, I will play the harmonica softly for the first week, to "break
in the reeds", as they put it. I think this is good advice for this
harmonica. They seem to play and sound much better after they are broken-in.
I'm getting wonderful tone on my key of A XB-40.

The blow notes on the first three holes bend, but they do require some work,
on both the C and the A. I could get all bends on the first three holes, but
I used my keyboard to give me a reference to where I was going. There's a
bit of ear trainging that goes while working on these bends. I find that If
I know where I'm going with the bend, I can make the bend much easier. I
went through the same thing learning draw 2 and draw 3 bends on a regular
harmonica. Now I have no problem with those bends. Electronic keyboards can
be had for as low as $40 bucks. I find them to be an invaluble practice
tool. Some people use electronic tuners to practice their bends, but I've
never had much luck with that.

Hole ten works as well as a regular diatonic in the key of C works for me --
not well. I do much better on that hole on Bb, A or G harps. I can't get
much of a bend on hole ten on a regular diatonic in the key of C, and the
same is true for the XB40. I don't think that's necessarily a problem with
the harmonica. (And three octaves above middle C is not an area I venture to
often....)

I am thrilled to have a second XB-40. I think they are wonderful
instruments.