Re: Amp Tone

In a message dated 10/2/2003 6:32:23 PM Central Standard Time,
billmona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> My question is:  How many other harp players out there use this amp and how
> does this compare to the Sonny Jr. or an original '59 Bassman?  Is it really
> just a matter of taste or is there a significant difference between these?

Bill asks how the SJ and '59 Bassman compare to a Harp King amp.

Having played through all 3 amps I have to say yes there's a very significant
difference between them, sound wise as well as in design. The HK is a monster
amp in every respect. 6x10 Eminence speakers, KT-90 power tubes and 100 watts
output give it a huge sound and will enable you to be heard in just about any
situation that might come up, even the guitar army scenario that many open
jams turn into. Some folks have said that this amp is fine if you want to sound
like Rod, but I have to disagree with that opinion. In my experience the HK
enables a wide range of tonal characteristics with more controls than I've seen
on most tube amps, including feed back control and something called "mid-bass
cut". Not everybody's cup of tea, but if my bum back could handle lugging
around a 63 lb. 33" tall amp, I'd probably own one. There's a 4x10 model out now
and I'd bet it's a great amp too. If you decide to go with a HK be prepared to
wait. I understand that 6-8 months is the normal lead time.

I do own a SJ1 and it is a totally different amp. 4x8 Pyle speakers, 2 6L6's
and about 35 watts output. 2 controls: volume and tone. A great amp in it's
own right and I gig with it often, but I have to agree with the general opinion
that this amp is somewhat one dimensional. The tonal range is limited to what
you can get from, and do with, your own acoustic tone. Different mics and tube
substitutions will extend that range a little but I find the SJ1 is kind of a
one-size-fits-all type of amp. That said, the tone of this amp is big and
round and sweet and I love the way it sounds. With a mic in front of it (I use a
Sennheiser 609 - a great amp mic) you will be heard with no problem. Very
feedback resistant as well.

An original '59 Bassman? Man, that's the amp to have. By far the best
sounding harp amp I have ever played through and one fine day, in an ideal world with
the stars in perfect alignment, I hope and dream to have one. If cost is no
issue I would say forget the rest and go with the real deal. They're out there
to be had, but the price seems to just go up and up. Victoria makes a 59
Bassman type amp (45410-T) but at around $2500. a pop it too is a considerable
investment and would no doubt have to be tweaked a bit before it was harp ready.

Taking it a little further, there are lots of other harp amps out there, both
boutique (Spirit, Holland, etc.) and standard guitar amps that can be made to
sound great for harp. Search the archives and you'll find lots of very good
info. There are so many qualities that you need to get out of your harp amp but
chiefly you need tone (player's acoustic tone aside), feedback control and
you need to be heard in the mix. As sad as it is, most bands play too loud and
you can ask your guitarist to turn down and your drummer to get a little brushy
with it, but all I can say is, GOOD LUCK! In the real world it's nice to be
able to compete with high volume and that's where some of these high powered
harp amps come in very handy. I am also way in favor of micing my amps through
the PA for all gigs, big and small. That's my rant and I'm sticking to it. I
wouldn't mind hearing some other opinions on this subject.

T. Albanese

T. Albanese