Re: rattling reed .

This could be for a number of reasons.

A harmonica is a lot like a car.... when she breaks down, ya gotta pop the
hood to fix her. It's probably one of the below (In no particular order)

1- (very common) The lower reed is popping against the coverplate. Can often
be solved by lowering the action (pushing the reed down a tad to where it
rests just barely above the plate). You would probably recognize this
problem right off and it would NOT do this when blown/drawn lightly.

2- The reed is NOT center (THAT'S MY BET IN THIS CASE). This means that the
reed is buzzing cause it is scraping against the plate. You will have to
move the reed over till it's CENTER of the slot. Take the harp apart and
hold it in the light, see if the reed is center over the slot. If you cant
see the light all the way around the reed, you need to turn it a TAD (I use
a toothpick). Very often something is lunged in there.

3- The reed is NOT secure. That means that the reed is NOT attached tight
enough to the plate. You can either tap the rivet in tighter or use
something like fingernail polish or superglue to stop the buzzing. I would
use nailpolish and polish around the back and side of the square reed
section (where it's attached to the plate) BE CAREFUL, you do NOT want to
get this stuff on the top of the reed or anywhere near the reeds freedom
zone (where the reed moves freely).

Vince Cheney

http://TheBluesSite.com . . . http://WinemakersWorld.com