Re: Bullet mics and CM elements

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "G." <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 4:46 AM
Subject: Bullet mics and CM elements

> Hey there,
>   I got my bundle of mics from John just the other day, very pleased with
my
> purchase and think the money is well spent and helped him all in a good
> cause. (Thanks again John)
>
>   I found out that cheap LEEM brand vocal mic meshes fit the SM58 really
> well, I have LEEM mic so I was able to swap meshes with one with dents and
> dings.  Good to know hey?
>
>   The Green Bullet 520D I bought from John had a Mexican dual impedance CM
> element complete with balanced XLR cable which took me by surprise.  I
> didn't know these things came in dual impedance.
>
>   I also have from previous purchases two other USA made CM elements which
> for all intents and purposes ~look~ the same but the one I bought from
> Scooter ages ago is just that much more powerful and preferable to my
ears,
> buggered if I know why the other one is not the same, its not bad at all,
> nice tone and I'd be happy with it if I didn't have the choice, but its
> definitely lower powered than my other USA CM, CR, Ceramic and Crystal
> elements.
>
>   So I'm wondering if this Mexican dual impendance element can be wired
hot?
> Do I remove the resister to the blue wire and just use the earth and red
> wires like in all the other bullets I've got or is there more to it than
> that?  More curious than anything.

Now I can't say anything about the Mexican GB's, but I have 2 US made GB's
with CM cartridges in them that I bought brand NEW in 1973, 4 years before
Shure first discontinued these mics, and these also came wired as dual
impedance also. I do agree the Mexican CM's and dynamic cartridges used in
the GB's since they've been reissued aren't even remotely close in quality
to the ones made in the US until 1977 (and Shure had absolutely NO idea harp
players were even using them, as they were thinking it was an outdated
taxicab dispatching mic). I'd check up on Dave Knott's excellent article on
the Green Bullets for more info at http://www.bluesharp.org and once you get
to the page, at the left hand side click on harminca mics, and then when the
page loads, scroll up and you'll see the link to article, as well as one I
contributed on for the Astatic JT30. If Dave's out here reading this, I'm
sure he can shed light on this.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA