Eric Clapton

  I am not too young (61) and I "may" not be as informed as some
people, but I was unaware that Eric Clapton had anything to do with
blues till a couple yrs ago when he started appearing on TV, was
SOLO, and playing an Acoustic Guitar (Acoustically).

  Seems like all of a sudden, after decades of playing Rock, guys are
turning up as blues musicians? I was sitting in an IHOP the other
week and a "Household" name in the Rock genre was saying that he was
going to come out of semi-retirement and head a BLUES band. As a
"no-body" at the table, I kept my mouth shut (which, if you know me,
you know how impossible that IS). Someone else (God bless him) asked
"Why" and this fellow answers "Now that we're older blues is less
strenuous". Hmmmmmmm? Interesting.

  I DIDN't have any mis-conceptions with Jerry Garcia (La Gratia
Morte), who was a "Boni-Fide" folk player from the "get-go", and
while not know for playing Banjo, Mandolin, or Acou. Guit. (and YES,
fiddle), THAT was his starting point. I wonder why this is?

  The other night there was a Biography of Tom Dowd (the soundman).
Featured were Allman Bros., Lnrd Sknrd, and CLAPTON. These people ALL
fit the story because it was the format was about Dowd's career with
musical "Greats".

  Clapton is featured on a LOT of stuff lately. Why? because he's
1..available. 2..reachable. 3.. (Known) to be a nice guy. 4..won't
bad mouth anyone. 5..Is a gentleman.  6..Knows what he's talking
about. and on and on (ad nauseum).

  The problem in U.S. IS: even if you DON't want to support a certain
(artist?) you don't have a choice. The Schemps who run the business
have it all figured out. Even if you only have "rabbit ears" on your
TV, you ARE supporting these people. Every time you purchase ANYTHING
part of your money goes toward advertising. Same thing if you JUST
listen to the radio.

  If you have satellite or cable, your money goes into the big pool
and everyone takes a slice. Then they buy programming. They buy the
programming THEY feel like buying. The bill I pay winds up in the
pockets of people I have either NO interest in OR out and out DON't
like. That's the price of entertainment.

  If I could dump MTV/E and a couple others I would. but I can't
because they are part of a package. Even though I NEVER purchased a
"Beetles" product, I am SURE these arrogant @(%+*)(&%@^* got SOME of
my money.

  As for the harmonica? Where IS it? I haven't seen MUCH. I've seen
biographies about Waters (with almost NO harp) and a couple other
(so-called) Legends??, but where is the harp? How about chromatic?
have you ever seen ANY?

  I don't know about ya-all, but I'm about ready to throw MY cable box
into the creek.

  Disgusted & Deprived......smo-joe