Re: XB40 problems.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Erickson" <erickm@xxxxxxxxx>

>it was stuck and I gently loosened it. It will
> now respond but sounds like a kazoo. It's odd though, because you can
still
> do full, rich blow bends off of hole 5. Hit it unbent and it's a party
toy.

Try going a bit further. Take the reedplate out, and check it against a
light. Maybe ithas come of center (or centre:-), or maybe there is a burr
preventing it to sound ok. Check the adjacent aux reed too, it might have
problems too.
Plink the reed (that is, lift it gently up and let it loose). If it plinks
like the other reeds, the reed should be ok. If it makes a dull sound, it is
probably dead.

> My next step is getting it fixed. That oughta be real fun.

If you are going to fix it yourself, the above steps are a good start. if
you are taking it to a technician, remember that, if the reed is really
dead, it might be very dificult to get a replacement reed. Unless the XB
reeds are interchangeable wit chrom reeds, which I think is unlikely. By the
way, has anybody measured teh slots of the XB, as Pat has done in his
slots.txt in Altered States?

Best regards,
Fernando Bresslau