R.e practise

I appreciate that the harp is, at once ,one of the easiest instruments to play and one of the most difficult to play WELL.. That, to improve on it demands keen ears and attention whilst listening to greats coupled with time spent practising and developing ones own chops.My problem is and has been ,since I became hooked on Blues harp, concentrating probably too much on the former ,that is , obsessing about trying to play a tune rote .eg Rollercoaster by L.W(who else ?) stands for me amongst the myriad of sublime harmonica performances, as the hottest harp instrumental, period.So I figure, if I can get a handle on it I could probably deal with anything . Three years down the line I still cannot play RC fluently.Yes , I can pick out riffs and jump in but invariably I'll stumble and fall right back out again.
Can any of you guys out there give me a little advice/empathy on how long to go after a tune or when to let it go and realise your limits.
I am aware that there isn't much virtue in simply copying classics in this manner in a performing context but you do need a template to build upon.Any thoughts on this ,greatly appreciated.
obsessively.