Music business advice

My story:
  Played rockabilly styled guitar for years. (don't stone me ;-) Put =
down
music for ~ 8 years.
 Went nuts on the harmonica. I tried some side man work, but it is
infinately easier
to be the singer and have the harp as a side. You then call the tunes =
and
build the band around
that.  Now I am no awesome harp player.(like Dennis Grueling or Jason =
Ricci)
 I take James Harman's advice and come with a song in my heart and a
harmonica in my hand. I also did what Howling Wolf did, and just stated
playing without all the effort of
years of practice being a 'mastreo' on the instrument.  At the moment ,I
play within my limitations and get better as I go along.
  You can do that if you are the vocalist, I play harp on 50% on the 3 =
sets.
I let the other fellows in the band wail on
certain tunes and they pick some tunes if I can sing them (fairly..well)
     The other fellows are right, it is 1950 wages, you do it for love. =
Some
times I forgo my cut so the other guys
get more money, in this way it isn't an ego trip. Jason, my advice to =
you is
be a part time player, (you'll be happier) , try to play close to
home,practice singing, get a day job, and consider a duo.  It is easier =
get taverns,resturants and the like if you play in a duo or trio.
  Get a stand up bass man for bottom & rhythm & a guitar player or piano =
man
who can share some of the vocal chores...""you'll be glad you did!"

  Oh yes, realize that if you are the band leader you will be hustling =
90%
of the gigs. Do you like dealing with
 bar owners who are "tight as Dick's hat band"?  Or the owner appointed
female bartender who "books the bands" and
gives you attitude when you call, because she's unhappy in her career
choice!   Realize that people are neither for you nor against you ,but
rather indifferent.

 Before I sign off consider what your up against:
 (This will be cynical)
  DVD's
  Tougher DUI laws
  Weather
  Low pay
  Other band competition
  Band politics
  Smoke vs Non-smoker bar issues
  Karoke
  DJ's  (Grrrrrrrrrrr!)
 PC's & the internet
 Boomers with kids
 Do you have a following?  (at 40yo? hardly!)
 We tried music it didn't work....
 Are you Loud?
 on and on and on and on..
  Good Luck and the journey is the reward daddyo!

Jimmy Day
www.fishfryswingers.com

- ----- Original Message -----=20