Re: Shure 545 question

rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a Shure 545 mic.  Is there any known differences
> between the Shure 545, 545SH, 545SD?  They all are Unidyne III dynamic
> elements.  People on Harp-l have praised the SD model.  Why do people praise
> the SD and not the others?
>
>     --Rick B
>       www.bluesharp.org

Hello,

Correction from earlier: Butterfield used the Shure 545S not the Shure 545SD.
Supposedly Little Walter used the Shure 545SD, but Little Walter also used a
host of other mics as well. The Shure 545SD is a great harp mic, but the
recent reissues of the microphone are horrible sounding so consider yourself
warned. My 545SD is probably the best sounding harp mic I have ever used. The top
end is perfect, the bottom end is full and overall sound is cleaner than other
microphones (especially compared to other typical CM or CR mics). Its a good
rugged mic that sounds good. Soundwise Shure 545's do not differ that much in my
opinion (except for the recent ones); they are pretty consistent in their
sound and are a great addition to the arsenal.

Andrew