Here's a weird one

I have a new student, who's 70 years old.  He brought his Hohner =
Chromonica, 12 hole.  He's had it since he was fifteen.  Never done a =
thing to it.  Here's the weird thing.  The top plate is in C sharp, and =
the button drops it to C.  It has always been that way.  I have a Celtic =
tuned Herring G to F sharp, but I can't imagine a chromatic harp tuned =
deliberately to C sharp.  Were they made that way years ago, or is it =
that somebody had switched the plates around, and is that possible?  =
Bullfrog