RE: Reed plate swap-outs

>From: "scorcher" <s_c_o_r_c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx>
>Steve Shaw says:
>
> > My numero uno harp for my
> > Irish tunes is the Sp20 low D which I tune to equal (and Paddy
> > Richter - him again).  I love 'em.  You can get them in other low keys
>too.
>

>Steve,
>You're playing the MS version of the S20, then?
>Sort of a Big River (MS Marine Band) plastic comb with Blues Harp-shaped
>covers, innit?
>What reed plates does that use - the heavier "Cross Harp" plates or the
>lighter BR ones?
>The BR comes in all the low keys here (USA), and I think the (HM) 1896 MB
>does, too, so I figure I could make 'em if I had to.

>-Scorcher

Hi Scorcher.

No, I only buy the hand-made low D Sp20s.  I can't get on with those Big
River covers at all (I'm probably not the right shape!).  On the few
occasions I've used the MS low D plates, I've had real problems with reeds
going south almost straight away.  I speak as I find!

All the best

Steve.

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica