RE: Irish music on the XB-40

>Glad to hear of your adventure with the key of G XB-40, James. Did you try
>any of those "slurry" Gm fiddle tunes like "Farewell to Miltown Malbay" or
>"Eileen Curran"? Would they tend to work on a bender in first position, or
>would you be more likely to play them on an F harp?
>
>Bob Laughton

Hello Bob. Yes, I did try doing some G dorian minor tunes on the G XB-40.
The notes in the G dorian minor
scale that require bends on a G XB-40 are Bb and F natural. The interesting
thing  is that these notes can be found in more than one place on this harp
due to the whole-step bendablility on every hole.  On a G XB  you can get Bb
by bending 5 blow down a half step or by bending 5 draw down a whole step.
You can get the F natural by taking the 7 draw down a half step or the 7
blow down a whole step. Actually, I believe all the notes in the 3 octave
chromatic scales available on this harp can be played in two different ways
with the exception of a few. Now as far as which way I played a specific
note(example: Bb on the 5 blow bend or 5 draw bend) depended on the phrasing
of the tune  that I was playing and the notes that preceded and/or followed
the Bb. I still need to work with this beast a lot longer to decide if I'm
going to bring my 3rd position dorian minor tunes over to 1st position
dorian minor. I strongly doubt it since I like using my tonic minor
chord(456 draw and 89 10 draw ) for rhythmic chording along with the melody.
I'm glad there's a Low F available. That'll be my likely choice for G dorian
minor. Again, it'll depend on the tune at hand,it's sweet spots, and how you
want to express it.
cheers,
James
www.jimmyconway.com
www.thesprigs.com

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com